This is a typical Italian dish, caramelized onions are a quick, cheap and easy to do dish that requires little care. Excellent to be served with red meats as a side, or on a warm slice of rustic bread or, absolutely wonderful if served with aged cheese! If by any chance you have some Onions from Tropea (special type from southern Italy) it’s the top.
- 400 g red onions thinly sliced
- ½ glass of red wine
- ½ glass of water
- 2 spoon of sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ glass of white vinegar of apple vinegar (or ¼ of white vinegar and ¼ apple balsamic vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon of mustard powder
- You only have to pay attention to the cooking temperature, they have to cook sloooooow. So put the onions in a small casserole with the vine, the water, the sugar, the bay leaf, and a pinch of salt and let it cook very slowly stirring occasionally.
- You have to let them cook and caramelize slowly without burning. If the liquid reduces too much, add water 2 spoons at the time.
- Once they are soft, add the mustard powder and the vinegar. Let the alcool evaporate, reduce the liquids if needed.
- Excellent as a side dish to a stew or red meat or on warm slice of rustic bread, with some cheese.
This post is also available in: Italian